Monday, April 13, 2015

Recipe: Tuna Pot Pockets

I created this recipe based off of HG Chicken Pot Pocket recipe which I posted about a few weeks ago.  I decided that if it worked with chicken, why not tuna?  I was not looking forward to the very hard edges of the egg roll wrappers, so on the spur of the moment I decided to use a fat-less, no sugar added bread dough recipe.  Also know as french bread dough.  It worked out quite well I think.

Dough:

2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 t. salt
1 1/4 c. warm water (yeast packet recommends 80 degrees Fahrenheit for a bread machine)
1 (.25 oz) packet active dry yeast


  1. In a small bowl, combine the flours.
  2. Place all ingredients in the bread machine in the order recommended by your bread machine.  For my machine, the order is: water, salt, flours, yeast.
  3. Set the bread machine to a Dough cycle, press start.  My bread machine takes 1.5 hours to complete the dough cycle.
Meanwhile you can get started on the filling.

Filling:

2 (7 oz) cans tuna packed in water, drained
1 (10.5) 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 3/4 c. frozen peas

  1. Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl.  Set in the refrigerator until the dough is done.
  2. Once dough is done, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
  3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  4. Divide in half. 
  5. Take one half of the dough and use your hands to stretch into a somewhat rectangular shape.  you could try using a rolling pin, but I used my hands.  If you stretch too much and break the dough, just smoosh it back together again.  Try to avoid doing this though.  The rectangle should be approximately 10 inches by 12 inches.
  6. Cut in half both length and width wise, this should leave you with 4 smaller rectangles.  I used a pizza cutter to do this, hardly pressing at all because I did not want to cut into my silicon mat. 
  7. Place approximately 1/2 cup of the filling to one side of the center of each rectangle.  Keep it away from the edges, or the dough won't seal.  Fold the dough over the filling to create a pocket.  
  8. Seal the edges, I used a fork and pressed the edges together. 
  9. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
  10. Place pockets on a baking tray lined with either parchment paper, or foil that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  I did one tray of each, and both came out fine.
  11. Bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and filling is hot.
Serves 8, Nutritional Information from myfitnesspal.com per serving: 303 Calories, 2 fat, 49 carbohydrates, 7 fiber, 2 sugar, 22 protein


The edges on this recipe still get a little tough.  I think I will experiment with other ways to seal the dough that keeps the edges hidden so they can't get tough.  But upon reheating the leftovers, in the microwave, wrapped in a damp paper towel, the edges weren't hard at all. So it is just right out of the oven that they are a bit crispy.


No comments:

Post a Comment