Monday, February 9, 2015

Excuses, Excuses

We had one of our nephews over to the house this past weekend.  He is three, so I am quite sure spending time with him counts as exercise.  My sister had called on Friday night and asked if we had plans for the weekend.  I told her no and asked why?  She said little G had asked to come to our house.  (Awww heart melting moment)  So how could I say no?  It was a blast, he went to church with us then we took him home.

He inspired me to try harder, so I have resolved that this is the week I will begin exercising.  Three times a week, so that gives me four slacker days.  There is no room for excuses here!

The day I had my second Dietitian visit, my husband had his first visit.  All of the same info was covered of course, but he brought home two insurance denial stories to share with me.  

The first was about a woman who did not change a thing towards working on her pre-op goals.  She even gained weight, although right at the end (panic time!) she lost five pounds.  There was no evidence supporting that she could change her eating habits enough for the surgery to be a success.

The second (and the one that worried me) was of a woman that was too successful at losing weight when working toward her pre-op goals.  The insurance deemed the surgery unnecessary as she was able to lose significant weight on her own.  Of course, I wish he would have gotten a number so I could pin down, how much is too much?

I forgot to mention this, but during my visit, we discussed appointment/surgery time lines.  It looks like if everything works out scheduling-wise, I will be having my Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass somewhere in the middle to end of May.  I had hoped it would be a little sooner, read that end of April, but I guess you just have to go with what the insurance and the surgeon can do.

So in the same day, I heard "Don't lose too much weight" and "You have 3.5 months until surgery."  Not a good combo, we proceeded to have entirely too much or a lot of bad things over the weekend.  It is my fault, I should have more will power, or at least common sense.  The first month I lost 9.1 lbs.  And let's face it, I could have tried harder, I wasn't even exercising.  And my case would be sent to the insurance for pre-certification in roughly 2 months, not 3.5 months.  So even if I lost another nine pounds each month for a total of 27 lbs lost, surely that would not be deemed "too much" when I would still weigh over 300 lbs?

I was just looking for an excuse.  I want to be honest here, but I don't want to admit I am human either.  I would like to be the perfect poster child for how this journey of bariatric surgery should go.  But that's not me, and I've never been perfect at anything.

As a side note: I would really love to be able to lose and keep off the weight without having surgery.  And don't think I haven't tried for the past 26 years (weight watchers at age nine, go me!).  But that is not me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment