Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Psychologist Appointment

I have been trying to write this post for three days now.  It seems like every time I get started, I am interrupted by something.  Or I realize I am running out of time and I have to leave.  Or it dawns on me that it is after midnight and I need to get up at 6:00 AM.  Ugh.

My psychologist appointment was on Friday.  It wasn't what I expected at all.  I've only ever been to a psychologist once before, and it was to get approval to use donor sperm for AI.  That appointment was about 1.5 hours and was pretty much all talking about family history, family support, how we felt about it etc.

This appointment was maybe 15 - 20 minutes of questions from the psychologist about my understanding of the procedure, it's effects on me, the possible complication, what kind of support I have, why do I want to do this?  Then it was another 45 minutes of testing.  The testing included a paper survey and two computer surveys.  I had to rank each statement False, Slightly True, Mostly True, Very True.  Most of the questions were just about how I feel about myself and how I think other people see me, or do I feel like people are stealing the thoughts from my head.  Every once in a while an oddball question occurred such as: My favorite two hobbies are archery and stamp collecting.  I feel like the answer to this question would always be false.

She seemed surprised when I was done.  Maybe I took the tests too quickly, but I really didn't need to dwell on any of the questions.  I was told this appointment would take 1.5 - 2 hours, but it was maybe just over an hour.  I bet I still get billed for the whole time though.

Anyway, I've got to get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment