Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sugar-treat Free

I haven't had anything sugary since 2/15... not even a little honey in my tea.  Don't get me wrong, I've had carbs in the form of low carb items, but no dessert and no sweet tea.  This is a major step for me because if there is one thing I could pinpoint as my kryptonite, it is definitely sweet treats.  I think about sweets daily still.  Let me be honest, multiple times per day still.  When I enter the kitchen at meal time, my first response is to look for something sweet.  Although, that is mostly a mental response at this point followed by disappointment.  One, because I know we don't have anything sweet readily available, and two because I can't eat it anyway.  So I don't bother physically looking any more.

I could bake something, or even easier add a little honey to my tea, but one thing is helping me resist the urge.  I have had a cold since last Friday.  I have always had a very poor response from my immune system when fighting off colds.  They linger forever and I cough so much my chest hurts and the cough lasts at least a couple weeks afterwards.  I have to clear my throat so often that I usually miss a night or two of sleep just to keep from feeling like I am drowning in snot.  So, I know sugar depresses the immune system, and I want to see if I get better any quicker than usual.

I was feeling a little better yesterday, but then I revisited the site of contamination yesterday afternoon.  I had to babysit for the nephews for 4 hours.  They all appear to be getting better; much less nose wiping had to occur.  But this morning, I feel worse.  Maybe it is just because they wore me out.  I have to go over again today for a couple hours.  Normally Mom and I would trade days if the other was sick, but Mom is out of town.  I am on babysitting duty through Wednesday.  Perhaps then, I will make a marked recovery from the cold.  Hopefully, I won't reinfect the boys.

Back to the main topic... I feel like I should be losing more weight for how strict I've been with my food for the past 9 days.  I'm big enough that it should be melting off at this point when you combine  my lack of sugar, exercising three times a week, and I am only eating about 1000-1500 calories a day.  Especially the past 5 days, when I have just hovered around the same weight within an ounce or two.  But I have only lost 3.7 lbs since 2/9/15.  It just doesn't seem right.  Perchance it is an impending menstrual cycle.  I haven't had a period since December, so it could happen any day now.

Besides for wanting sugar desperately, I have a decided lack of interest in food.  I have a refrigerator full of protein-y and sugar-free treats.  Turkey sausage, turkey bacon, light string cheese, 99% fat free ham and turkey lunch meat, low fat hot dogs, sugar-free jell-o, sugar-free pudding, and eggs to name most of them.  Plus the fixings for salad, other veggies that are steam-able, canned tuna and chicken in the cupboard.  But pretty much every meal except dinner, I am just making a protein shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment