Sunday, August 2, 2015

Hair Loss and WLS

Hair loss, it's real.

A bit more than normal, but not too bad yet.


So I've noticed the past two hair washings that I have had a bit more than normal amount of hair loss.  Not extreme hair thinning like I see some of the gastric bypass patients have, but more than normal for me.  I knew this was a side effect of weight loss surgery going in, but it is one of my most dreaded. (The other being tooth loss.)

I don't want to be an overweight bald woman.  I am 2.5 months out from surgery.  Will this get worse?  I am taking biotin already.  5000 mcg a day.  But I have noticed that when I was taking 2 1000 mcg tablets a day my hair was oilier than now when I am taking 1 5000 mcg capsule a day.  More oil production from our pores is one effect of biotin.  I have considered that perhaps with my altered anatomy and reduced stomach acid, that I am not effectively digesting the capsule.  So I bought some more tablets.  I found them in 1000 mcg and 7500 mcg.  I bought both.

On the recommendation of someone on FB, I bought this OGX shampoo and conditioner.  I haven't started to use it yet, as I was hoping to use up my old bottles.  But I may have to switch now.  It was not that expensive and I found it at the grocery store.  It looks like it may only protect and give hair a fuller appearance.


A better option, according to most, is Nioxin.  It is only available online and at some hair salons.  It has a lot of reviews on amazon claiming it really works to actually help regrow hair.  It is much more expensive.  If I begin losing more hair, I will definitely try it.  But as it stands now, I am going to just try the OGX.



No comments:

Post a Comment