Saturday, August 1, 2015

Snickerdoodle Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

I completed my main task of the day which was making a birthday cake for my mom.  The only restriction was that it not be a plain white/yellow/chocolate cake.

I've been wanting to try out the petal technique for decorating the cake.  It was slightly more difficult than I imagined but only because the frosting was so soft it kept wanting to droop before I could get the spatula on it.  Perhaps a shortening based, rather than butter based, icing would have been easier to work with.  Also, the beginning/end point is not the prettiest spot on the cake, but you can hide that in the back I suppose.  It used about 4.5-5 cups of frosting doing the petal technique.  That was more than the recipe made, so yes, I had two batches of frosting.  I didn't use it all though.

I've frozen frosting in the past, works quite well.  I had a small amount mixed with cake crumbs from crumb coating the cake.  I wanted to eat that so bad.  It took everything in me to throw it away.  I can just imagine the hours I would have spent in the bathroom has I done so.  This is the third time I've made the cake.  I love this frosting.  The cake is good.  The frosting... seriously, I could just make it and eat it until I got sick.  I think besides a snickerdoodle cake, it would be awesome on carrot, spice, pumpkin, apple, zucchini, mocha, dark chocolate cakes and probably more.  It's splendiferous and fraught with danger for someone who would dump for eating it.  I don't think I am going to make it again for a while.  The temptation may just be too much for me next time.

The recipe comes to me from The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn.  I have three of her books and having tried about 5 recipes.  You can find the recipe online in multiple places, but here is one.

Because cake mixes have shrunk as inflation rises, I also used this Cake Mix Extender recipe to round the cake out.  I didn't want to have thin layers.  And since I didn't want my extra addition to go to waste, I didn't bother leveling the layers either.  I think it still turned out pretty.

Snickerdoodle Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment