Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Low Carb Taco Pie

I did better yesterday on getting both carbs and fat in.  Actually went a little over on the carbs, but not terrible.  And I have to say that the Low Carb Taco Pie is amazing.  I found it on Pinterest and adapted it for me.  I've already been searching out other similar recipes.  You can find the original here.

You could make the recipe lower in fat by using leaner beef or switching to lean ground turkey.  I think you could omit an egg and not even notice the difference in the recipe.  You could also use egg substitute instead of the eggs.   Or you could use fat free cheese.  I personally don't care for fat free cheese, but to each their own.

You could make the recipe lower in carbs by omitting the onion (reduces 6 g carbs for the entire recipe).  Or use 6 fl oz water instead of 8 oz tomato sauce (reduces 11 g carbs for the entire recipe).  Substitute Kraft Mild Cheddar shredded cheese (0 g carbs) for the Sargento.  It will increase the fat, but will reduce the entire recipe's carbs by 4 g.  Finally, you could find a taco seasoning (or make you own!) that has less carbs.  I had an open packet of seasoning in my cupboard, so that is what I used.  2 T of the Ortega has 8 g carbs, so I am sure there is something you could do to make that less.

I will probably be tinkering with the recipe myself to see what changes I want to make it a little lower in carbs.  But I have to keep the onion, because we loves it, precious!

Low Carb Taco Pie

Serves 6-7

Ingredients

1 small onion, chopped
1 lb. Laura's Lean 92/8 Ground Beef
2 tbs. Ortega Taco Seasoning
8 oz can tomato sauce
6 eggs
1 cup Nonfat Fairlife Milk
3 minced garlic cloves
salt & pepper
1 cup Sargento reduced fat shredded cheddar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9.5" pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.  (I wouldn't go smaller unless you are omitting something, it was very full!)

Saute onion and beef until mostly browned, breaking it up as it cooks.  Add in the garlic and cook until no longer pink.

Add tomato sauce and seasoning.  If needed, turn heat to low and let the sauce reduce. (Mine didn't need this for some reason.)

Meanwhile, combine eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir with a whisk.

Spread meat mixture into pie plate, pushing it to the edges and patting it down.  Then pour the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until the center is set.  I like the top of mine brown, so I cooked it for 45 minutes.

Nutritional Information obtained from myfitnesspal.com

Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 270
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 15 g23 %
Saturated Fat 7 g33 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 262 mg87 %
Sodium 524 mg22 %
Potassium 172 mg5 %
Total Carbohydrate 7 g2 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g3 %
Sugars 2 g
Protein 29 g57 %
Vitamin A15 %
Vitamin C7 %
Calcium26 %
Iron20 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment