Thursday, January 29, 2015

Clothing Sizes

Good Morning people at the other end of the internet!

It is not yet 8:00 AM and as I type I am drinking sipping a weak protein shake.  Mission for the day: accomplished!  Well, one mission anyway.  I just finished making a change to one of the Pages.  It used to be called Weight Log, but I have changed the title to Progress Log.  I added my clothing size as something to keep track of in addition to my weight.

I know as I stay on track, sometimes the number on the scale won't change, but I will still be fitting  into smaller clothes.  I have never been one to take my measurements, so as an alternative, I will track my jean size.  I think it will be very motivational for me to see the drop in clothing sizes.  I chose jean size, because it is the larger or the two sizes I wear.  I have always been small busted for a large woman, maybe 1-2 sizes smaller on top depending on the fit.

I was browsing Bariatric forums last night and came across of thread concerning the speed at which you will drop clothing sizes.  Everyone ones input was different of course, but the trend seemed to be this:  You may only go down one clothing size for the first 45-65 lbs lost, but the smaller the size you get into the less weight you need to lose to progress to the next size.  One woman even commented that as she was nearing goal, even 10 pounds necessitated a smaller size in clothing.  I'm not sure what this says about the clothing manufacturers, but I do find it interesting.

My thought is that perhaps since bigger people are less likely to wear well fitting clothing, bagginess will do for us longer?  Or perhaps we, like all women, try to fit into the smallest size possible, and the more fabric present, the more give (stretch) there will be?  Hence we will be wearing a size, or even 2, smaller than we really should be.  I know for myself, I hate tight clothes and tend towards baggy.  However, I'm sure we've all seen someone squeezing into a piece of clothing that they ought not wear.  If you haven't, take a gander over at peopleofwalmart dot com.  That being said, even I am guilty of this to a degree.

When I began this three weeks ago, I wore a tight size 36 jeans.  They are not so tight that I have to lay down to get them to zip, but in my teens, I was guilty of that too.  Now, I refuse to go up another size, especially since I am working on changing this.  They are still tight on me.  In my closet, I have 2 pairs of size 32 jeans, practically brand new.  So when I do get to a size 34, I will either be wearing a baggy 36 or a tight 32.  More than likely it will be the baggy 36s since I really do not enjoy wearing tight clothing, but I am not ruling out the 32s at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment