Saturday, June 13, 2015

Product Reviews: Fair Life Milk and Beneprotein

Fair Life Milk

I found this in the grocery store when I was looking for a milk alternative to skim milk.  I had read about Hood's Calorie Countdown milk and was searching for something similar.  Hood's products are unfortunately not available in my area.  I confirmed this by inquiring of Hood to which I got short but polite letter telling me so.  It advised me that I could request my store special order it in for me.

Anyway, in my search, I came across Fair Life Milk.  It is a Coca~Cola product.  That seems weird, but soda pop sales are in decline, so I guess they are diversifying.  It looks like this:


I bought the fat free.  But it also comes in 2%, whole, and chocolate.  As you can see, the label says it has 50% more protein and 30% more calcium versus ordinary milk.  The back of the label says it has 50% less sugar and is lactose free.  One cup has 80 calories, 0 g fat, 6 g carbs, 6 g sugars, 13 g protein, and 40% calcium.

There are multiple reviews on it online already going into technical stuff regarding it nutritional value and taste tests for it's taste bud appeal.  I am not qualified to go into technical stuff, and I have not tasted Fair Life Milk right out of the bottle.  I've only used it in shakes and recipes.

What I can tell you, is that for me, it's great.  For people needing to reduce their sugar (diabetics, WLS patients, ?) and those who need to increase their protein (WLS patients, vegetarians, ?)  it is awesome.

I don't worry about dumping so much when using it.  It is a big help getting in my required protein.  Plus, although it is not an issue yet for me, it has more calcium in which WLS patients are prone to having a deficiency.  All in all, I really like it.

The only down side is price.  The bottle is not quite a half gallon, with servings per container listed as About 7.  And it cost me $3.99 last week.  I bought it twice, the second time I got the last bottle of fat free.  The fat free must fly off the shelf.  This week, I was pleasantly surprised to find it on a price drop at 2/$6.00.

Beneprotein

This was recommended to me by the nutritionist.  It is a flavorless whet protein powder.  it is made by Nestle.  You can find it at Amazon, but I bought mine at a local chain pharmacy.  I believe it was 13.99, which I later found out is more expensive than Amazon.com.  It looks like this:


I've added this to a few recipes with great success.  I really can't tell it's in there.  It boosts my protein intake up a bit with being gross... so bonus!  It says to just stir it into hot or cold.  In cold drinks, I find that it doesn't stir in too well, you really have to use a blender of some sort to get out all the lumps.  For recipes that get microwaved, don't put it in until after you heat the food/drink.  It changes the texture and gets lumpy, not good.  I find if I add it to my Cream of Rice or oatmeal after the heating, it does just fine.  Remember, those items are supposed to thin anyways, so there is plenty of liquid to mix the protein powder into.

No comments:

Post a Comment