Thursday, June 4, 2015

Weight Loss Expectations After Surgery

As I've posted before, I feel like I am losing weight very slowly.  I realize not everyone loses at the same rate.  But when I hear other people's success stories, both from Support Group and the Facebook support group I joined, it makes me feel like my progress so far is not the norm.  I know what you are thinking, it's only been eight days.  I should ease up on myself.  I know, right?

I have a chart from my doctor showing what my expected weight loss should be at certain times based on percentage of excess weight lost.  This is based on the averages of his past patients.  I also have a picture from the FB support group showing what you may expect to lose by a certain point based solely upon your beginning weight.  Let me share them.

From my doctor:

At one month, I can expect to have lost 25% of my excess weight.  For me this would be 44 lbs.

At three months, I can expect to have lost 43%.  For me this would be 75 lbs.

At six months, I can expect to have lost 69%.  For me this would be 121 lbs.

At nine months, I can expect to have lost 75%.  For me this would be 132 lbs.

At one year, I can expect to have lost 81%.  For me this would be 142 lbs.


From the FB support group:


As you can see, the FB expectations are much more moderate.  And I would be okay with them.  I fall in the 300-400 lbs category.  So in the first ten days, I could lose 10-30 lbs.  Well, seeing as I'm at day eight today, and I have not even lost 5 lbs, I just don't see that happening.

This is why I am not happy with my progress.  Chart showing my expectant loss, patient's telling of their success.  It makes me think, "Well, don't I just suck."

I can't eat any less at this point.  It would be difficult to eat more, although I could try.  So the only thing I can do is up my exercise.

My one week follow-up appt with the doctor is in an hour.  I will have to ask him about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment